Pictures by TinaBash

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Mock Autobiography

I was working as a cocktail waitress at the time, trying to find my way around the city, trying to survive. I didn’t realize how expensive life would be there. So I served drinks to whites every night, and went to political rallies during the day.

I remember the day I met Jay Kennedy, a member of the American Communist Party. That is a day that changed my life. I mean, I listened to what he had to say. He talked about inequality and how our capitalist government was so corrupt, and I was just like: “Yes, Yes!” What he said made sense and was so right. And I knew then that I just couldn’t sit around anymore and let other people control my world. I went right out and quit my cocktail waitress job. I was just like,”I quit, so shove off”; and I walked right out of there. ~ Tina Bash

excerpt from: First-person mock 'autobiography' of Elaine Brown, former female leader of the Black Panther Party by Tina Bash

No comments: